Thursday, July 10, 2008

On Evaluations

Not long ago, I had to write an evaluation that was not exactly screaming - Overachiever and Super Star. A person I was evaluating was a horrible experience for the entire project team I was leading and constantly caused some sort of a conflict. I waited till the last day debating which approach to pursue. Should I be direct and blunt, or diplomatic and sweet - the question was constantly lingering in my mind.

On my lunch break, I was still facing my dilemma when a sandwich advertisement caught my attention. Juicy meat followed by a slice of tomato, lettuce, and onions (I hate onions) on a bun made me realize how to write a perfect review - positive statement followed by bad news, then a few kind words mixed with a negative example.

I decided not to send my evaluation but rather create a surprise effect by presenting the review in person and not allowing to prepare for an immediate attack.

A few points to keep in mind:

- be direct and to the point

- ensure you can back your allegations up with the factual statements and examples based on the situations you had to dealt with

- provide only constructive criticism that the person can improve upon

- careful with the choice of words, ensuring that your review does not sound like a personal attack

- be prepared to have a discussion with the HR personnel as the person you are evaluating might not want to sign the evaluation form or could complain to the HR

- do a little side research and learn whether you are the only one on this battle field or other managers had similar experiences with your resource. As hard as it is, try to find out the attitude of the project team towards the person you are evaluating.

The more information you have, the better your review will sound. The more prepared you are, the easier it is to deliver.

No comments: