Friday, July 25, 2008

The Games We Play


Q: Hypothetical situation: imagine Project Manager A lies about you b/c he hates you; Manager B who supposedly is your direct boss believes what Project Manager A has to say. Result: you don't get interesting projects, bonuses, raises, etc. What do you do? Who would you talk to?


A: There are some assumptions built into your Results. How do you know that is why you have not gotten interesting projects, bonuses, raises, etc. At any rate, I would talk directly with B and let him know there is obviously a personal conflict between you and A and you do not want to be judged based on A's accusations.

Q: I don't know that, you are right. i tried to talk to B to find out the details; however, my attempts were not successful.

A: Let B know the seriousness of this and you would like to talk to someone else if he doesn't have time

Q: Email?

A: Sure. It will allow him to think about it and respond at his convenience. Managers don't like to be blindsided.

Q: I was also thinking to talk to VP C since I used to report to her directly to find out whats going on. I am not sure whether it's a right approach.

A: It seems like C doesn't have much power to get anything done these days.

Q: All of this is affecting my relationship with others. For example, Manager G thought i was lying to him about my roll off date b/c A told B something that was not true at all.

Q: It seems that all decisions are done without any consideration whatsoever and are communicated in such an interesting way that if you are not a "chosen" person, you don't really know whats going on.

A: I agree. Our Firm is having growing pains and I'm not sure if they know how to handle them.
When you say interesting projects, do you have any specific ones in mind? I can't think of a single interesting project throughout the entire company. Then again, I don't know what all is going on throughout.

No comments: