Friday, May 16, 2008

Speaker's Block

In consulting, we often avoid the unpleasant situations with the "let me research your question in depth and get back to you" statement. I use this well-known trick when I absolutely have no answers.

However, what do you do in cases when you must respond immediately?

Don't be afraid, - suggested my manager on the way to a big meeting with CEOs and VPs of one of the largest mutual funds companies. - You will never be prepared enough to know all the answers in the world. Instead, you should gain mastery in presenting irrelevant information as a legitimate response to the question you are being asked.

I've been following his advice for quite some time during my consulting career. I usually have a few standard answers in my possession that I alter according to the circumstances.

This morning I learned yet another valuable lesson about how to react to the unknowns. I found myself almost in a drunken stupor with a twist of a shocked face when I was asked about American Idol in front of the entire Toastmasters group.

I don't watch all these shows, I don't know who's winning, what should I say - such thoughts were running through my head with the speed of 100 miles per second. The truth was - I was not prepared. In the midst of my panic, I forgot every single advice I had been given. I forgot how to fake it and make it sound convincing or completely change the subject in such a way that my audience will forget what the original question was.

As I was standing in the middle of the room desperately trying to find some words, I realized that speaker's block is not an excuse and to succeed in a consulting world, or any career for that matter, you must be well equipped at all times.

No comments: